Several weeks before the move:
• Clean out and sell/donate/discard items that you do not need or do not wish
• Request quotes from a few different moving companies.
• Contact insurance companies to change address for coverage.
• Contact Utility Companies to shut off existing service and to request service
in your new home.
• Medical/Dental: Have prescriptions on hand or transferred to new doctors;
Get referrals for medical professionals in your new area; have copies of
birth certificates, medical records, etc.
• Arrange moving your pet(s) if necessary.
• Obtain packing materials and begin packing.
• Change your address with the post office, credit card companies,
magazine subscriptions, friends and family, etc.
• Cancel services such as newspaper delivery, lawn service, pest control, etc.
• Use up perishable foods.
• Have payment on hand for the movers.
• Have cash/travelers checks on hand to cover expenses until you can get to
a bank at your new destination.
• Hand carry valuables and important documents yourself.
• Once your house is empty - go through and double check closets, cabinets,
etc to make sure you did not leave anything behind.
• Have plans for pets and small children while the moving truck is being loaded.
• Give the house a final clean up.
• Leave your new contact information with the new residents so they can
forward any mail that slips through the cracks.
• Leave house keys with your real estate agent.
At your new address:
• If you are moving to a new state, register your car within 5 days to
avoid penalties; apply for a new driver's license.
• Register children for school.
• Find new doctors, dentists, etc.
• Register to vote.
• Begin unpacking. Take photos of any damaged items and save
packing materials that involved broken items to help support claims filed
with the moving company.• Relax and enjoy your new home!